Monday, October 24, 2016

Baguio City Lepidopterans

I was not able to post for the last two weeks, a little occupied with work. I even missed the October GBBD. I was only able to post for the FB friends, but really cannot cope with blogging, as this needs a PC to work on. But i will make-up for that with this post, i hope you will enjoy my photos.

The week before last we had an activity for 4 days in Baguio City, a place in the highlands, we normally call the Summer Capital of the Philippines. It is a city, Shangrila-like, amidst steep mountain sides. It is reached via a very circuitous route traversing very deep ravines with strong water current, through a highway that usually closes every after a strong typhoon due to landslides. So a city on top of the mountains, with sub-tropical climate, is a lovely respite for us living in the hot lowlands of Metro Manila.

After the 3-day sessions of whole-day project evaluations and critiquing, a half-day is free, and we were allowed to roam wherever we wanted to. In my case, i wanted my afternoon to roam the parks and botanical garden. So i asked the administrator of a group on butterflies for a meeting, and she gave her whole afternoon showing me where the butterflies are! She is very knowledgeable on Baguio's butterflies and moths, we scanned two parks. That was our first meeting so we learned about each other while chasing butterflies. Here are most of them. I leave some photos for another post.

EREBIDAE Nyctemera  luzonensis

Metalmark Moth

WALLACEAN 
Zethera pimplea pimplea Erichson 1834
Nymphalidae; Satyrinae

IGOLETA BUSHBROWN
Mycalesis igoleta igoleta C. & R. Felder 1863
Nymphalidae; Satyrinae



Mycalesis aramis

Mycalesis aramis

INDIAN CABBAGE WHITE
Pieris canidia canidia (Linnaeus, 1768)

INDIAN CABBAGE WHITE
Pieris canidia canidia (Linnaeus, 1768)

INDIAN CABBAGE WHITE
Pieris canidia canidia (Linnaeus, 1768)

IGOLETA BUSHBROWN
Mycalesis igoleta igoleta C. & R. Felder 1863
Nymphalidae; Satyrinae

IGOLETA BUSHBROWN
Mycalesis igoleta igoleta C. & R. Felder 1863
Nymphalidae; Satyrinae

15 comments:

  1. Great shots. They nicely sit still for you I have been chasing a butterfly in my garden but it was hard to get a photo of him. The photos with the yellow flower and the butterfly are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pictures of the butterflies and moths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting and your photos of the butterflies look fantastic, it´s so difficult to get them right in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Lucky you!! I would love to spend some time somewhere like that with someone who can help me with locating and identifying butterflies. You have taken some lovely pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick I am thinking you should see this. There are more for next post, i divided the photos. I realized it is easier to shoot butterflies in colder climates as they not flutter much as in my hot area at home. Thanks

      Delete
  5. Butterflies are such fascinating subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - amazing and beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos!
    Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/10/along-way.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Andrea.... I love all the insects as it is cold and all the insects have gone quiet... I enjoyed your comment on my fall post. There is a special kind of smell during fall and yes, the sound of the leaves is a unique sound and I love looking at all the colors and shapes....but then there is snow...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also haven't experienced snow, but it is fall and everything it brings which i felt so deprived of. Winter and snow i don't think inspires me that much. It was like an alien space with a few souls in isolation!

      Delete
  9. Very pretty images of the moths and butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We understand about real life getting in the way of blogging! Your photos are really wonderful! I love all the captures of your visitors on the awesome flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful set of butterflies.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me to post more, and our conversations make life and gardening more meaningful.

However, Anonymous comments and personal back links give me problems, so i don't publish them. Anonymous + back links = SPAM = DELETE

Related Posts with Thumbnails